I often wake up to a very empty stomach on a cold winter morning and the best way to fill it up is a bowl of piping hot oatmeal topped with chopped walnutes, soy milk and cinnamon. Recently, I added a serving of fat-free homemade scones to complete my breakfast splurge. It is a very good idea to soak the cranberries / raisins in alcohol like tia maria, vodka, rum as they add an extra kick to the scones, which would otherwise be quite plain (though it doesn't matter since you do eat it with other accompaniments)
1 cup self-raising flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup dried cranberries (soaked in 4tbsp of rum / tia maria)
1 small slice of butter / 1 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat oven at 200C for around 10 minutes.
2. Mix flour, milk and cranberries until you obtain a dough that does not stick to the hands.
3. Grease baking tray with butter / olive oil
4. Divide the dough into 5cm diameter balls.
5. Bake at 180C for a further 10 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Serve with ginger marmalade or your favourite jam / maple syrup.
Option: you can add 2 tablespoon of tia maria / rum into the dough during mixing for extra flavor
Labels: Bakery, Dessert Recipe, Quick N Easy, Scones, Western Recipe